Tuesday, February 14, 2012

VAlentines Day

When we were little every year my mom would get me and my brother something small and a box of those hard stale candy hearts, and a 99 cent card.. Oh and we would have cupcakes.. I loved it.. As you grow older certain holidays seem a little different.. As you have kids you remember how your parents were able to make anything seem huge... That box of hearts and my 2 dollar toy was everything to me then.. And thinking back on it it is still everything to me.. I remember one year my mom decided to get me a carebear cousin Losta Heart Elephant and got my brother one as well.. But she got him one that seemed more boyish like the brave heart lion.. It wasn't until recently that I was reminded of it.. Yes I still have all of my stuff animals.. But the thing is parents are your first valentines, then you dump them for some boy or girl in elementary school.. But your mom will never stop giving you love and to me thats what Valentines is all about.. The love.. But at this stage in my life I don't see it as a holiday.. Not for me anyway.. As I got older and worked in retail I saw how commercial it has become.. Everything goes on sale.. Perfume, you get mailers in the mail from jewelry stores, females look to get engaged on this day.. And get mad if he got her something else.. Maybe it was always that way, but I never saw it as a kid because to me it just meant a 99 cent card, a stale box of heart, and a small toy.. And love from my mom..

Maybe when I have children I to will give them lil things on this day.. We will see.. :)

1 comment: